African Democracy Encyclopaedia Project
The African Democracy Encyclopaedia empowers workers in the field of electoral reform and democratic governance, from electoral authorities to civil society workers and from academics to political party activists. It does so by providing essential, accurate and timeous information.
The components of the African Democracy Encyclopaedia are introduced below.
Country profiles are provided for several African countries. They:
- Provide information on the next and past election for each country.
- Links to summary information on political background, electoral history, electoral management bodies, electoral system, constitution, political parties and other relevant material.
- The Election Calendar for the current year covers all of Africa and is continuously updated. It lists elections and referenda arranged alphabetically by country.
- The Comprehensive Calendar provides information on terms of office and past and future elections and referenda.
The Election archive provides direct access to the electoral histories of all 15 SADC countries and three of the East African Community members, namely Burundi, Kenya and Tanzania (Rwanda and Uganda will be added in 2011), as well as Chad and the Sudan. These pages supply election results, international observer reports and other election specific material.
Comparative data is provided for the the 15 SADC countries in tables, with maps being added where appropriate.
- Focus areas are constitutional and electoral arrangements, political parties' legal regimes and electoral operations.
- Links to more detailed country pages are provided where possible.
The Links directory provides access to external resources.
- The areas of elections, good governance, conflict management, human rights education and local government are covered.
- Links are provided to key organisations, online information providers, empowerment projects as well as manuals, handbooks and key documents.
Gender issues provides information on work by EISA on gender balance research and links to country specific pages.