EISA hosts DoP’s 11th implementation meeting
The 2016 annual Declaration of Principles for International Election Observation (DOP) implementation meeting was the 11th in the series since the inauguration of the DOP.
The annual implementation meetings focus on a wide range of thematic electoral issues that require attention by international election observers. The 2016 annual meeting focused on the following themes: (i) The growing trend of entrenched incumbency; (ii) Support to civil society groups working in closed societies; (iii) Conflict and electoral violence; (iv) Disability and other inclusivity issues; (v) Money in politics and abuse of state resources.
The following panellists opened the 11th annual implementation meeting which was hosted by EISA:
- Denis Kadima, Executive Director of EISA
- Dr Christina Thorpe, Chair of EISA Board and former Chairperson of the National Electoral Commission of Sierra Leone
- Jason Carter, Chair of the Board of The Carter Center
- Elena Valenciano, President of the Human Rights Committee, European Union Parliament
- Justice Johann Kriegler, retired Judge of the South African Constitutional Court and former Chairperson of the South African Independent Electoral Commission.