South Africa: Expatriate voting 2009
Updated April 2009
Constitutional Court judgement: [www] http://www.constitutionalcourt.org.za/Archimages/13383.PDF [PDF document, opens new window] (accessed 4 Mar 2010).
South Africa: Voting for (registered) South African expatriates: Step-by-step guide
1. Find your Identity Documents: You need both your green bar coded ID book and your passport to vote.
2. Check if you are a registered voter (IEC "Am I registered?", [www] https://www.elections.org.za/AmRegister/AmRegister.aspx [opens new window, accessed 16 Mar 2009]).
3. Find your nearest diplomatic mission (Department of Foreign Affairs "Web sites of SA Missions", [www] http://www.dfa.gov.za/webmissions/index.html [opens new window, accessed 16 Mar 2009]).
4. Download the VEC 10 form (IEC "VEC 10" http://www.elections.org.za/Documents/Voting2009/VEC10%20absence%20from%20the%20Republic1.pdf [PDF document, opens new window, accessed 16 Mar 2009]).
5. Fill in V10 form and submit by 27 Mar 2009.
- Include covering letter (1 sentence) saying that you intend voting and where you intend voting.
- E-mail to email@example.com or fax to +2712-428-5566/428-5279.
6. 15 April 2009: Take ID book and passport to diplomatic mission and vote.